Thursday, January 10, 2013

First Post

     I just watched a movie on Netflix called, Jiro Dreams of Sushi. The premise is basically a guy who has worked his whole life to master everything sushi. At the ripe age of 85, he charges $300 a plate, requires reservations months in advance, and stares you down (apparently, uncomfortably so) while you feast on his 3/3 star rated cuisine. The man literally dreams about sushi. Jiro is admirably referred to as a true Shokunin. A japanese woodworker aptly describes the Shokunin existance here,
“The Japanese word shokunin is defined by both Japanese and Japanese-English dictionaries as ‘craftsman’ or ‘artisan’, but such a literal description does not fully express the deeper meaning. The Japanese apprentice is taught that shokunin means not only having technical skill, but also implies an attitude and social consciousness. These qualities are encompassed in the word shokunin, but are seldom written down . . . . The shokunin demonstrates knowledge of tools and skills with them, the ability to create beauty and the capacity to work with incredible speed . . . . The shokunin has a social obligation to work his/her best for the general welfare of the people. This obligation is both spiritual and material, in that no matter what it is, the shokunin’s responsibility is to fulfill the requirement.”
– Toshio Odate
     Did you guys think this post was going to be about how awesome sushi was? If you're reading this, I hope you know I'm not the biggest fan of sushi. I dislike rice. It's never been a food I could enjoy, to be honest, it always seemed to drain away the flavor from the food I did desire.
     Regardless, the film did spark a cluster of thoughts for me. Why do people hate their jobs? Some people are 45 years old, working jobs (not careers - don't ever tell them their occupation is a career) that they can do nothing more than complain about how long the day is, how terrible their boss is, or what activities await them after their shift. I only hated one job. I was 19 in a sales position and felt that I was truly ripping people off; it got to me - deeply. I quit after 3 months. The way of a Shokunin would sound impossible to these job-haters. We all have responsibility. My heart goes out to all those people working shitty jobs to make a way for their family. I respect their determination. Still, there is a part of me that wholeheartedly believes one can be more than happy within their career choice.
 

    This blog allows me to lay my thoughts on the ethereal table of the internet and expose myself in ways I have never tried. I have always thought of myself as a very fluid person. I can be totally different around different people. Never fake, per se, more like I adapt to my audience. People always refer to me as a veeeery quiet person. (this is terrible...but) A good boy. When people truly see me, it's usually a shock. At least that's what they tell me. Maybe this blog will dampen the effect?
Will people think the same of me? Will I think the same of me after reading my own writing?
We'll see.

Promise -- the rest of the blogs shouldn't be this long.

No comments:

Post a Comment